Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Vintage Photos of Weslaco's Farm Security Administration Camp

So friends of the PFH blog, what exactly is this? Here's what the Handbook of Texas Online has to say:
In 1939 the United States Farm Security Administration established a camp north of town on what is now Highway 83. The $250,000 camp, the first of its kind in Texas built expressly for the purpose of housing migrant farmworkers, became known as Weslaco North.
So, with that information out of the way, we get to the real treat of this entry: the photographs. Thanks to this incredible blog known as Shorpy, I found some fantastic photographs of 1939-1942 era that deal with Weslaco life. I would have preferred some photographs of the downtown area and dirt roads in general, but I'll take what I can get. I was trying to think of which one was my favorite, but it's difficult to pick just one since most of these are incredibly charming photographs. Enjoy.













If you want some of the background information of these photographs, some of which are very interesting, I encourage you to visit the Shorpy blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment