Friday, September 26, 2014

Q&A - Elida Reyna

Elida Reyna at the 34th annual Tejano Music Awards
Local Tejano star Elida Reyna had a weekend she will never forget. Last Saturday night at the 34th Annual Tejano Music Awards in San Antonio, Reyna walked away with five awards to her name — "Female Entertainer of the Year", "Female Vocalist of the Year", "Album of the Year" (EYA Nation), "Song of the Year" ("Muevelo Asi"), and "Vocal Duo of the Year" (with Jimmy Gonzalez). I caught up with her to talk about her special night and her new recordings.

Eduardo Martinez: First off, how did it feel to have walked away with five awards?

Elida Reyna: I could not believe that I won all five. I did not expect that, at all. I was beyond happy.

EM: When you were there at the Tejano Music Awards on Saturday night, did you think of how far you've come?

ER: Yeah, when we opened up the show, my last song in our segment was "Luna Llena". And I think it hit me at that moment that the first time I ever performed at the Tejano Music Awards was, I believe, in 1994. That was the first time I had ever sung at the awards. We were doing a compilation of songs that had been hits throughout my twenty years in the industry. So it just took me back, of just how far I've come to get to this point.

EM: Who accompanied you to this event?

ER: Well my band, my parents and my little daughter were there. I have three children but only the little one went this time, because my other kids had prior engagements.

EM: Did you do anything special to celebrate the occasion?

ER: What was special to me was being able to share it with my family. Really we just celebrated by going out to dinner to Mi Tierra (in San Antonio). That was really special.

EM: One of the awards you won was "Vocal Duo of the Year" with Jimmy Gonzalez. Can you share your thoughts on him and your collaboration?

ER: I've always had the utmost respect for Jimmy and all of his accomplishments. When he invited me to be a part of this collaboration, I was honored, like anyone else would be. I consider him an icon, a legend in our industry, so when you get that phone call you don't pass it up. I was very privileged to be a part of it and then to win an award because of it, it was the cherry on top.

EM: Can you tell us about your upcoming release?

ER: We have a new album (Al Fin Completa) that comes out November 4th, and our new single drops today (9/23/2014) on the radio. The song is a collaboration with Jay Perez, and it's called "Siempre Seras Para Mi". It's a beautiful love song.

EM: Is this your first time working with Jay Perez?

ER: Yes, this is my first collaboration with Jay, and it was a song written by my husband Lalo Reyna and Lucky Joe Paredes, who is an upcoming solo artist under Freddie Records.

I hope this next single will be a hit, and move up the charts to number one.

EM: Anything you would like to say to all your fans?

ER: None of this would be possible without them. This weekend is forever embedded in my heart. It's just an experience that I will never forget, and it's all because of my fans. They made it possible for me to go on and live my dreams. They inspire me to do better and better.

It's moments like this weekend that make it all worth it.

EM: Awesome, thank you for your time Elida. I know you must be real busy, so I really appreciate it.

ER: No problem, anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment