Tuesday, March 27, 2012

My third article for The Monitor.


My third article for The Monitor was published on March 11th, it was on Juanita Garcia of McAllen, TX. The article is available here for your reading pleasure. On my way to Juanita's house, I actually got lost around her neighborhood. I couldn't find her house, so I walked into the beauty parlor in her neighborhood. I saw a sweet woman about to leave and without even thinking I just asked, "Are you Juanita Garcia?", she just lit up and said "yes". 

I had a great time talking to her and her cousin Adelaida Ortega about her singing career. Very sweet person and she even sang a couple of tunes for me which I thought was awesome. 

3 comments:

  1. It is because of this article about Juanita Garcia that I came across your web site. Those of us from her era of the 50's-70's recall her beautiful voice and the beautiful person that she is. I, for one, commend you on this article for bringing to mind those that had a hand in putting tejano music in the spotlight so many years ago. And, that Juanita was right up front with the best. I am truly fascinated by your blog and enjoy recalling precious memories of the lower Rio Grand Valley. It brought tears, laughter; a touch of nostalgia. I heard some artist's songs on your blog and, nothing would make me happier than to have you provide Juanita's hauntingly & romantic rendition of "LLoraras." Keep up this great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much, I'm very glad you enjoyed the article. I'm very happy I wrote it.

    I will try my best to be able to find an original copy of "Lloraras". If I do, I'll make sure to upload it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I am the daughter of Manuel Acevedo who sang with and knew Juanita Garcia very well. She knew him as Meme. I am trying to find your article. I cannot find/view it.

      Delete