Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Michael Cole admits he's from McAllen, TX on television.

Photo Credit - WWE
Jerry Lawler beating up Michael Cole 

I remember years ago reading in Dave Meltzer's Wrestling Observer Newsletter that Michael Cole was living in McAllen, TX because he had married a woman from the Rio Grande Valley. That became a trivia note of mine since the idea of WWE announcer Michael Cole living in McAllen seemed pretty amusing to me. I remember even Jim Ross confirming it saying that Cole lost electricity in his McAllen home for a few days due to Hurricane Dolly in the Summer of 2008.

But even though Meltzer and Ross confirmed it, it still seemed odd since I never heard of anyone seeing Cole around in McAllen. So a few months ago, I was at the McAllen Artwalk and I was at an art gallery that was displaying religious art. I was there with a friend when out of nowhere, a khaki short and polo t-shirt wearing Michael Cole showed up to examine this religious art. I was rather perplexed by what I was seeing!

So now, this past week, WWE has these new gimmicks for the original Mistico (de Juarez) and Haku's son. They are stereotypical Mexican thugs that talk in slang and ride in on a low-rider bicycle. When the match starts, Michael Cole proceeds to give a low-rider bicycle history lesson. Booker T immediately accuses Cole of looking up all that information the night before on Google, but Cole replies back that he knows this culture because he's from McAllen, Texas.

4 comments:

  1. The next week he said he gets his hair cut and his teeth cleaned in Nuevo Progreso.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and you are just NOW discovering this...
    you may want to email a wrestling fan or a
    few hundred ha ha ha. you would be amazed
    how so many people know a lot about the
    background of so many of these athletes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's mentioned at the top of the post that I read about this on Dave Meltzer's newsletter, which was the first place that this was reported in 2007 or 2008. So I already knew about this, this was more about it being mentioned and him confirming it on television (which hadn't been done before, to my knowledge).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Put your name on it, Anonymous. You have no idea who you are talking to when it comes to combat sports.

    Next time read the post before making assumptions.

    ReplyDelete