Friday, October 21, 2011

Andy Paris: Bubblegum King

Andrew Paris in McAllen
Photo Credit: LIFE

I stumbled upon this since I heard about Andy Paris being a big deal in McAllen in the 1940's. I was curious since the name was foreign to me, so I googled him up. Much to my surprise, I found this neat film trailer.



This rave review from MySA gives some most of the backstory:
Andy Paris didn’t invent bubblegum. 
But the debonair South Texas businessman made it popular the way Henry Ford made the Model-T ubiquitous – by mass producing it. In Paris’ case, after World War II in McAllen. 
Suddenly bubblegum – chewing gum mixed with latex from Mexico -- was widely available, cheap (one-penny) and fun. In post-rationing America, the timing was perfect.It made Paris, the son of Greek immigrants, an unlikely millionaire.
This looks like such a fun and enjoyable documentary, I want to see it soon.

3 comments:

Dino said...

Thank you so much for the support Eduardo! We had a great run at Texas film festivals and I would like to let everyone in the Valley enjoy the film. Please go to this link to watch the film, feel free to download and/or share the link with friends! https://vimeo.com/144578837 I hope everyone enjoys this incredible story that came out of the RGV!!
Best,
Dino Reyes
Director/Producer

Dino said...

sorry, had trouble with VIMEO, here is an updated link to view the doc!! http://www.bubblegumkingdoc.com/

Dino said...

Please see full documentary here: http://bit.ly/1lsLXlr

Post a Comment